Successful candidates who meet two of the three criteria and apply with the California State Board of Pharmacy to become an APP are authorized to:
- Perform patient assessments,
- Order and interpret drug therapy-related tests in coordination with a patient’s primary care provider or diagnosing prescriber to monitor patient progress,
- Refer patients to other health care providers,
- Participate in the evaluation and management of diseases and health conditions in collaboration with other health care providers,
- In accordance with a protocol with a physician or facility, a pharmacist may initiate, adjust, and discontinue drug therapy upon referral from a patient’s treating prescriber when necessary and medically appropriate.